- ⅓ cup cassava flour
- ¼ cup sugar cane sugar will make them extra crispy but maple/coconut sugar will work too!
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 flax egg 1 tablespoon ground flax seed soaked in 3 tablespoons water for 5 minutes
- ⅓ cup non dairy milk we used coconut but any milk will work
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil sub any fat
- ½ cup cashews soaked for 24 hours then drained
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar sub for any granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons full fat coconut milk skimmed off the top of a can
- 1 ounce melted chocolate
In the food processor, puree soaked and drained cashews just until it is a chunky, grainy texture--similar to a ricotta cheese consistency.
Pulse in sugar, cinnamon and coconut milk just until combined, do not over mix.
Set in the fridge while making the shells
To start the shells--you will need a waffle CONE iron.
While it is preheating, start by whisking all the dry ingredients together, then incorporating the wet ingredients.
Spoon about ½ tbsp worth of the batter onto the waffle iron and keep closed for 2-3 minutes(all waffle makers can vary so you might need to play around with the time)
When it is golden brown, peel it off the iron and wrap it around something cylinder shaped(handle of a wooden spoon, thin rolling pin, etc.)
Keep it wrapped on the object until it is cooled and hardened so it can hold its shape when taken off.
Once it cools, dip each side into melted chocolate and place in fridge/freezer until it sets.
Fill each cannoli shell with the prepared cannoli cream*.
Enjoy right away or store in the fridge in an airtight container until ready to eat.
*We scooped our cannoli cream into a small ziplock bag a snipped a small corner off to make a “piping bag” to make filling the cannolis easier!
Difficulty Level: Easy